Re: Status of GTK+ on Mac OS X?

John,

On the Mac most installs use either MacPorts <www.macports.org> or Fink <fink.sf.net> to do the heavy lifting.

I think your question should be: Do Mac users need access to GTK+?

The answer is absolutely.

On Aug 31, 2009, at 7:18 PM, John Pye wrote:

Hi all

I recently did some work trying to port my program, ASCEND, for the Mac OS X platform. It's a GPL program using PyGTK for its GUI. I'm a regular Linux user, but I figured that adding OS X support could be useful for expanding our user base, so I got hold of a Mac and I'm trying to make it happen.

There's no PyGTK binary available anywhere for OS X. The only route seems to be to use 'jhbuild' and John Ralls' instructions from gtk-osx.sf.net. This seems unnecessarily difficult after the pleasant experience of getting started with Ubuntu and even Windows.

More generally, what level of support for the OS X platform does the GTK+ undertake to provide? Does the organisation have a plan to resolve the outstanding bugs and features in gtk-quartz?

Is there a consensus that support for OS X is valuable to the GTK+ community, or are more people of the view that we can take it or leave it? Where does this leave GTK+ compared to other GUI toolkits that offer cross-platform support?

Why isn't the OS X port maintained on the official GNOME/GTK website?

Cheers
JP

Marius

--