events and lib allegro

Hi list,

I'm using lib allegro, because I need use joystick.

I made a simple window containing 4 togglebuttons and some labels ..
the labels will be set  with analog position of the axes of joysitck.
The togglebuttons will set with the state of the 4 buttons on the
joystick. To update the values of the joystick must call a function
(poll_joystick ()) periodically. My doubt is how to do this without
compromising the integrity of the program. How to read to him every 50
milesegundos the joystick?

Thanks