Re: The right direction

> I don't mind having to change a few things, or having to write some OS
> specific code, but I was wondering if GTK+ code can be just compiled on
> another OS (with the dev-tools installed) without any changes?

Usually, yes, but there are some differences in details that might
surprise you if you do the build for the system that is not your main
development platform just as a last step when your project is about to
finish.

In other words, it's best to continuously keep building on both Linux
and Windows (or at least once a week on the "other" one) to quickly
notice when some unintended difference in behaviour has popped up.

> When I used Microsoft VC++ to
> make GUI programs I found that people that didn't have the IDE installed
> could not use the applications I would make.

That sounds very odd, surely this is not how it is supposed to be. You
must have done something wrong. But that is off-topic for this list
anyway;)

> Will my applications work
> without the dev-tools installed on the target computer?

Sure. Just the run-time bits are needed. (And of those, you can
typically drop the message catalogs in various languages if your
application itself isn't localised anyway.)

--tml