Customised buttons on GTK+

Hi,

I have tried searching through the list archives and tried google, but I could not find an answer to my Q.

So, here's my Q.

I want to make a custom button. With three images, 1. unpressed state of the button, 2. pressed state of the button and 3. disable state of the button.

Now, what is the best way to do this? I was thinking on two options:
1. Implement a completely new widget
OR
2. Capture the existing button events (not signals) and change the background whenever required.

I am just starting off with GTK+, so I am a little bit confused on the approach to take.
I am using GTK+ 2.14.x (cannot remember the 'x') on Ubuntu.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks,
-Deven