Odd behavior when running in the background under Linux

If I start my GTK+ GUI up in Linux, it works fine---at least until I move it to the background. At this point, all of the controls and UI elements continue to display properly, but my GtkDrawingArea stops getting expose events.

There may be other related difficulties, but that's the most obvious. Anyone know what might be going on?

The drawing area uses GtkGlExt do draw a figure with OpenGL, although I doubt that's directly relevant to the problem.