Re: mutex problems on Windows

That indeed is a more elegant solution! I really feel that I'm learning one step at a time... Regarding the use of g_atomic_int_..., I'm curious how you fit his into the flow? Obviously T and G must be initialized to share a stopping variable s. Who should create this variable? I would be interested to see how you would amend your 1-direction solution so that it also supports stopping.

Thanks!
Dov

2009/7/8 Terrence Cole <list-sink trainedmonkeystudios org>
On Tue, 2009-07-07 at 10:56 +0300, Dov Grobgeld wrote:
> Thanks a lot for the help.! I have now solved the problem by
> introducing a GCond,called C below, into the flow. For posterity, here
> is the modified flow, which is actually a general model of a
> client-server interaction between a worker thread and the gui thread.
>
>    * W locks j->M through g_mutex_lock(j->M) so that G will not send
> the condition signal until we are ready for it.
>    * W fills in j with various info to display.
>    * W calls g_idle_add(GSourceFunc(cb_update_job), j) to indicate to
> G that there is info to display.
>    * W waits on C through g_cond_wait(j->C, j->M). This will unblock
> j->M and allow G to continue.
>    * G is called in cb_update_job().
>    * G updates the gui, also possibly updates j based on GUI interaction.
>    * G does g_mutex_lock(j->M) which causes it to wait until W has
> reached g_cond_wait().
>    * G sends a condition signal through g_cond_signal(j->C)
>    * G does g_mutex_unlock(j->M). This will allow W to take the lock
> in g_cond_wait().
>    * W wakes up and does a g_mutex_unlock(j->M) as it no longer needs
> the lock on the mutex.
>    * W examines the return info that G filled in into j and contiues
> or aborts its operation.
>
> Quite complex I have to admit. Is there a simpler way to solve the
> same problem (query/response)?

Check out GAsyncQueue.  For 1-way traffic on a GAsyncQueue Q:
   * W fills in j
   * W does g_async_queue_push( Q, j )
   * W does g_idle_add(GSourceFunc(cb_update_job),Q)
   * G in cb_update_job does: j = g_async_queue_pop(Q);

Internally, the GAsyncQueue is basically doing the logic you have above,
but it's much easier to use and probably has more bug testing and
performance polishing.

The 2-way case is basically the same thing twice.  For GAsyncQueues Q
and Q':
   * W fills in j
   * W does g_async_queue_push(Q,j)
   * W does g_idle_add(GSourceFunc(cb_update_job),Q)
   * G in cb_update_job does: j = g_async_queue_pop(Q);
   * G modifies j
   * G does a g_async_queue_push(Q',j)
   * W does a j = g_async_queue_pop(Q')

Note that this relies on Q' blocking W while it waits for a response,
which will limit your throughput.  You will get much better performance
if you organize your program to take advantage of the pipelining nature
of the queue. That said, the trivial 2-queue case will not be slower
than what you have already since it's doing the same thing.

I usually end up with something simpler than full 2-way communication
(or I go all the way to threaded modules).  For instance, if the status
G is sending back is something trivial like "you should stop now", then
using a g_atomic_int_* will be much cheaper, and simpler.

Good Luck,
-Terrence