g_main_loop and g_async_queue

Hi,

Is there a way to have the main loop react upon a message becoming
available from a different thread on an asynchronous queue?

I'm having a main loop which is somewhat time critical, and a thread
which is dedicated to tasks which can take longer and have often a
lesser priority. I chose to use threads over forks because complex data
sets need to be exchanged between the two. Is there some other method I
could use instead of asynchronous queues?

Thanks,

--
Chris