gnome-canvas substitution: mouse click events on a gtkppixbuf? or what else?

Hoi guys,

I have a little application which works perfectly using the gnomecanvas (under linux)
and the old style from glade (which will write the code).

To give you  an idea you can check a JPG  here:

http://www.scriptsforscience.com/projects/loom/loom_ss.jpg

I rewrote the full stuff using gtkbuilder with the exception of the:
most important part of the application.

Now the problem/question:

I am about to rewrite the "graphical part".

On the first implementation I was using the gnome-canvas and each of the triangles (you see in the picture) used to be an object.

It was pretty handy because the user need to:

 - move the mouse oven and read a couple of numbers (on  the status bar for example).
 - Click on the figure, and perform some basic actions.

The gnome canvas was pretty handy!

 But from one side the gnome canvas is not going to survive the time and on the other side I have a load problem..
 ..What I did...  will survive 20000 figures. But I might have a problems with 60000 figures and more.

I do know that there might be a "cairo" equivalent version of the gnome canvas.

I also wrote a while ago in this mailing list about this problem and I got a nice response.
(I cannot put the response here right now.. but it was an alternative that I still want to explore.).

Is there any better gtk+ solution?
Because even if I use any latest canvas stuff. All I need is mouse events on a little triangle

So shall I recreate the wheel for my problem (which is my last idea) or is there some better use
of the gtk stuff?

soon

But .. where would you go?