OT comprehending large application (was What, in detail, the GDK do)

"a hint to 60MB of sourcecode (18.000+ pages
if printed out) "

I am sorry for the quite off topic post, but I can't help myself. I am just a part time programmer, I can understand the GTK API but there is no way I could contribute anything to the code base. I have been trying to learn more about how professionals study the projects they contribute to. I have been buying books on UML and software system designs but honestly this is all a mystery to me. It does not seem that many projects bother to construct UML diagrams and surely low-level one of GTK would fill a football field.

Does any one person actually understand 18K pages of this code or is it just a case of sticking to a small section? Could any pros out there explain how you tackle this monumental task?

Sorry again for going off topic-Patrick