Row headers in GtkTreeView

If I create a GtkTreeView with columns, then scroll vertically, the column headers are fixed and the column data scrolls vertically.  I want to do the same thing horizontally.  The first column should remain fixed, and if I scroll horizontally, the columns, including column headers, would scroll.  This kind of thing is common in spreadsheets where you want both column and row headers.

Is there any widget for this or any way of automatically controlling GtkTreeView for this, or do I need to handle it myself by catching signals?

Phil