Re: round button

Hello,

"At a first glance at two or three examples their code looked comparitively
easy to me." should also mean, that i am far from being an expert in these
things. The whole matter is also branded with "Theming". But a theme is more
a .gtkrc (please find out yourself, what that is) for a given engine. Here is
an entry point to the documentation on library.gnome.org:

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeArt/Tutorials/GtkThemes#Engines

My gtkrc uses two engines mixed. I like xfce, but as 90% of them it also
has the primitive rectangles for notebook tab-headers, thus for
notebooks i use ubuntulooks. This is my simple .gtkrc:

gtk-theme-name = "XFCE-4.2"

style "all"
{
	GtkWidget::focus-line-width = 0
	engine "xfce"
	{
	}
}

style "clearlooks-notebook"
{
	engine "ubuntulooks"
	{
	}
}

class "GtkWidget" style "all"
class "GtkNotebook" style "clearlooks-notebook"

That means, you could possbily write an engine for buttons alone and
use it this way. I cannot find a clearly arranged list of engines on
gnome.org - here is one:

http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/GTK_Engines

Since this matter will occupy me in future, i downloaded Cleanice.
It comes with more than 1MB sourcecode, but most of it for
make/autoconf - the C-sources are 6 files with about 60kB - that
is, what i meant with "easy". In cleanice-draw.c you can exactly see,
how widgets are drawn. Unfortunately this engine does not use cairo,
you should try to find some for cairo.

What you need is competence with cairo then, but cairo is very easy and
has a nicely small number of functions and objects. And of course
competence with gtk - to be honest, following this advice would be
a hard challenge for a gtk beginner (but in fact managable with
good C-experience). But very instructive. You should be prepared for
at least one month of work eventually. Note, that the firefox Gecko
engine is also drawing with cairo since one or two years - that is the
number one drawing library for 2D these days.

Sorry, if this is not, what you expected. GTK is powerful, but also
really difficult.

Good luck, Joost Behrends

maxim maxim schrieb:
Thanks for you answer , i relatively new in GTK+ , i write my code in
c, can you send me some examples for this engines, that change the
shape of the widget.