Problems with ComboBox (gtk+ 2.18 and higher)

I have been experiencing intermittent combobox problems using gtk+-2.18.3 (and higher) on
Windows XP.

Sometimes (rarely) the click/release on the combobox works as expected (choices
remain displayed).  Other times the choices are displayed and immediately
disappear when the mouse button is released.

Test program source:
http://www.cinterviews.com/2009/11/gtkcombobox-gtk-widgets.html

Everything works fine when I revert to gtk+2.16.6

Has any body else observed problems with ComboBox widget?
Note: I submitted this as a bug report (Bug 603250) several weeks ago and there has not been any activity.