Pango problem with 16-bit character?

Hi,

I seem to have uncovered a problem with Pango's handling of 16-bit UTF-8
characters in certain circumstances. I have a program that displays the
content of a text file in a GtkLabel, and although the content of the text
file is mostly ASCII there is one extended-ASCII character that appears a
few times in there - the double-left facing chevron character (ASCII 171 or
0xab). So I pass the text through g_convert to convert to UTF-8 before using
gtk_label_set_text to add it to the label.

Generally that works properly and the double-chevron character displays
fine, except when that character is the last on the line of text,
immediately followed by '\n'; then Pango displays double-chevron character
with another graphical character after it - a square box with a diagonal
cross.

I debug printed the output of g_convert and it looks to be OK - for example
converting character sequence "34 ab 20" returns "34 c2 ab 20" and displays
properly, converting "34 ab 0a" returns "34 c2 ab 0a" and does not.

An easy work around is to insert a space after any graphical character on
the end of a line.

Ian