Changing default fonts

Hi

I know that you can change the default font configuration of GTK+
applications using ~/.gtkrc-2.0 by setting gtk-font-name.

I start (in debian lenny) my mail client with another locale:

alias thunderbird='LANG="ja_JP.UTF-8" thunderbird'

but the default fonts under this locale are ugly. I would like to change
the default fonts for this locale, but when I set

gtk-font-name="mikachan 12"

in ~/.gtkrc-2.0 this font is used by all gtk+ apps (independent from
locale).

How can I change the default fonts for ja_JP.UTF-8? How can I choose the
default cjk / japanese fonts?

Thanks
Pablo

--