Gtk+ app without a window.

Hi all.

I want to make my own desktop environment. (Well a graphical shell actually)
I don't really know where to start. I would like to be able to fire up X and when the session starts have a horizontal bar with a
TextEntry widget and a work area.

Here is a example of what I want. (Just a Gimp mock-up)
gshell concept

You type the commands into the TextEntry box and the output goes to whatever window you have selected.

So when you type in `ls -l` the output of that command goes to the TextBox Widget.
I have made a prototype app that can do that but now I need to make one that is fullscreen and without a window.

I saw somewhere how to make a windowless GTK app but it seems a bit crude. (I requites the GTK_NO_WINDOW flag to be set)
The shell also needs to be able to create children widgets (Like TreeView, TextBox, etc...) with windows and launch regular apps.

Is there a recommended way to do this or can someone point me in the right direction? Also I don't want it to be gnome dependant.

I plan to do this in C.

Thanks