Re: Using GTK+ without an X11 Server

On Fri, 2009-07-31 at 10:46 +0200, Anthony wrote:
> Is there a way to run a Gtk+-based application without having it use an
> actual X11 server? I know that there's a dummy/null-head X11 Driver

[which is Xvfb]

> The reason I ask is that I need to do some automated testing... using
> WebKitGtk and it would be really convenient (maybe even faster?) to not
> have it require an X11 server.

Not sure about convenient or faster, but if you've got an Xvfb instance
running your GTK apps will work "headless". That is often enough for
most of the testing people need to do.

Since I assume you know that, can you tell us what about your
requirements is unusual such that a virtual X server won't cut it?

AfC
Sydney

--
Andrew Frederick Cowie

Operational Dynamics is an operations and engineering consultancy
focusing on IT strategy, organizational architecture, systems
review, and effective procedures for change management: enabling
successful deployment of mission critical information technology in
enterprises, worldwide.

http://www.operationaldynamics.com/

Sydney   New York   Toronto   London