In GTK1.2,How to change the color of a certain widget?

Right now,I am using Gtk1.2,when I create a window using:gtk_window_new(),and
create a box using:gtk_vbox_new(),after that I create several buttons, and
add the buttons to the box, add the box to the window.
My question is ,Can I change the color of the button,I mean when one button
is selected, the color will change to ,for example , 'red'. while the other
buttons not selected, their color is still the same,not change.Dose anyone
know?Thanks.
Besides ,Can I change the color of window to 'blue'? As you konw the color
of window  by default is something like 'white' when created .So I want to
change it to my favorite color.