Re: Global hotkey

On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 12:43 -0600, Axel von Bertoldi wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm wondering if GTK+ provides any facilities for global hotkeys or
> key-bindings. By global I Mean for the entire desktop, not just a
> window or application. Specifically, I have a panel-applet I'd like to
> activate with a keyboard shortcut, much like Tomboy or Deskbar. Though
> I have looked at the source for both of those projects, I haven't
> found it helpful as my applet is written in C and I have ~0 C#/mono
> experience.
>
> I've also tried the gtk_binding api, but it seems to work at the
> window level (or maybe I'm just using it wrong).  Any tips would be
> appreciated.

the only app that can do this is the window manager. no other app can do
it, and i don't believe there is a way to ask the window manager to
things on behalf of another application either.

if you're trying to right a kiosk-like setup, you have to do quite a bit
more than just write an application.

--p