Re: Bottom titlebar

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 8:52 AM, Paul Davis <paul linuxaudiosystems com> wrote:

>  On Fri, 2008-03-14 at 23:53 -0400, Donny Viszneki wrote:
>  > On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 8:58 AM, Paul Davis <paul linuxaudiosystems com> wrote:
>  > >   or: remove all decoration from the window (not nice for your users) and
>  > >        draw/manage the titlebar yourself.
>  >
>  > If implementing an application who's emphasis is on user interface
>  > details (like yakuake) it isn't really "not nice" in any way that I
>  > can see.
>
>  yakuake is a terminal emulator. it has no more right to dispense with
>  the normal window decorations than any other application.

Yes, but Yakuake's special move is having a UI that is purposefully
different than other terminal emulators. In fact, if they're
particularly smart, Yakuake is *not* a terminal emulator, but a merely
a front-end to an entirely separate terminal emulator library intended
for use in software which needs to emulate a terminal. This semantic
hairsplitting may seem irrelevant and irritating, but that is only
until you realize its true significance: that when someone installs
Yakuake, they are not doing so because they want "a terminal
emulator," they're doing so because they want a terminal emulator that
works the way Yakuake does, and that is notably different from what "a
terminal emulator" does.

>  >  But if you're implementing anything else, it's probably good
>  > advice not to throw out the window decorations your users have chosen
>  > for themselves and are used to.
>
>  maybe i should have used stronger language. when i said "not nice" i
>  really meant "if you do this, the curse of the underworld will be upon
>  you, your children, their children and so forth for 772 generations".

No, strong language was not what was missing from your last email. I
completely understand why you would say this about 99.999% of software
out there, but Yakuake is not among them, as per the reasoning I
stated above: Yakuake is not an application that anyone needs or would
want to use unless their want is *specifically* for the weird UI
design decisions that it has, which in most other desktop applications
would be an imposition or obstacle that irritates many users and
potentially complicates things without any good need.

In other words: would you make the same complaint about an option that
needs to be manually enabled in order to remove the window
decorations? This is essentially the same scenario: if one needs a
terminal emulator, there are many *options* out there, and one of
those options is a console like the ones that ID Software, inc.
includes in their first-person shooters, and goes by the name of
Yakuake.

--
http://www.socsurveys.org/
http://blogger.socsurveys.org/