Removing a child added to a side window in a GtkTextView

How does one remove a Widget added to a side window of a GtkTextView
with gtk_text_view_add_child_in_window()?

I realize I could probably gtk_widget_hide() it, but that doesn't seem
sufficient.

As an alternative to using GtkTextView's border windows (which seem to
have a lot of quirks), I've considered using a GtkLayout (is that the
same as a GtkFixed in a GtkViewport?) using the same GtkAdjustments as
are driving the GtkScrolledwindow wrapping the GtkTextView.

I'm sure that this is in "there is more than one way to do it" land but
any tips appreciated.

AfC
Sydney