running a Gtk app without the window manager

Is it possible to run a Gtk application without the window manager
running?

The reason I am asking, is that I am having all sorts of problems with
the window manager not sending the configure event when I
programmatically change the window size. I have set the min/max hints
but still have situations where the window manager just does not
generate the configure event.

What I want to do it run this video application in a
Splash-screen-like mode. That is, it is a video application that I
want to display on the complete screen real estate. All of the
application control is done via the network (it does not need to
handle mouse events or move windows around) and this box is only
running this application. Consequently, I do not think I need the
window manager even running.

Any help on how to do this would be appreciated--thanks...

-Andres