how to use gdk_window_set_back_pixmap ()

Hello,

I'm trying to avoid windows of widgets drawing their backgrounds, so I
use gdk_window_set_back_pixmap (widget->window,NULL,FALSE) but it
doesn't seem to work. In particular, actually I'm trying to get the
GtkIconView widget without the  default background. As far as I could
see, widgets don't get their windows until they are realised so I'm
trying to set the back pixmap after realization but it still doesn't
work.

Does any one knows how to use this thing properly?

thanks in advance
üstün