Re: how to determine maximum possible window size?

On 02/05/2008 05:21 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 16:36 -0800, Chris MacGregor wrote:
Thanks, but those functions don't account for the space occupied by things like panels. Any suggestions for how to deal with that? (That was the question I was trying to ask.)

that wouldn't be a part of GTK, but would part of GNOME. GTK is useful
on systems without panels, with panels, with permanent (almost) top
level menus, etc etc etc. you can even use GTK on a system without any
window manager ...

Does GTK not have any way of knowing how big a window will be when maximized? Should I be asking this question on a GNOME list? Is there simply no portable way of doing this?

Perhaps this is information that GTK *SHOULD* make available to apps - part of the point is to hide the system-dependent hassles from the app, right?

Putting it into GTK+ 2.22 or whatever doesn't solve my problem now, but maybe it's the right thing to do.