Re: Multiple Gtk+2.0 installation

>  Hello! As a new programmer I want to install multiple versions of gtk+2.0

I would understand if you wanted to do this being an *experienced*
programmer who needs to test building some application against several
versions of the GTK+ stack. But why do you need to do this if you are
a *new* programmer?

> My Debian Etch system already has gtk+2.8 installed. Now wanna install gtk+2.10.

Why not the most recent GTK+ then, 2.12.(7)? Or maybe you should look
for some distribution that comes with GTK+ 2.10.

> So if i install cairo 1.2.6 from source will it
> conflict with cairo 1.0.2?

Only if you install it into the same location.

> If it does is there anyway to solve this problem?

Yes, but if you really are a new programmer, I don't see why you would
want to spend your time on such matters. It is likely you will only
manage to mix up something and break your system. You have been
warned.

Anyway, the key point here is to build and install the versions you
want of the GTK+ stack (cairo, GLib, atk, Pango, GTK+) into a new,
fresh location. Obviously, you should build in order from bottom up.
When building each component that depends on some of the earlier, make
sure to set your PKG_CONFIG_PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PATH environment
variables so that the earlier components get picked up and not the
system ones installed by the distribution. And whatever you do,
*don't* overwrite files from the system packages. Don't work as root.

--tml