Mono-spaced custom widget

Hi,

I'm writing a custom "text" editor using mono-space layout. The
objective is to create a widget which one can use to create
"tracker" like editors (think OctaMED, SoundTracker, NoiseTracker et al).

The problem I have is that I have absolutely no clue on how to do this
efficiently with GTK/Pango. I'm trying, as I said, to draw mono-spaced characters
in a grid, basically. What I would really prefer here is a non-antialiased bitmap
font to minimize the CPU load. The reason for this is that I'm trying to get this
application to run quickly on the OpenMoko, which isn't very quick compared
to a desktop computer. Are there any suggestions from the crowd out there?
I really don't want to change the toolkit, since that would be huge ammount of work.

The source-code I'm working on can be looked at here:

http://kamoflage.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/kamoflage/kamoflage/libkamoflage/kgtkvectored.c?revision=1.17&view=markup

The function of interest is kgtk_vectored_expose(), or maybe kgtk_vectored_draw_text().

   Any help is appreciated!

       /Anton Persson