Re: How to put widget in CUSTOM GtkContainer

I don't believe that using set_parent() will actually place the widget inside the container; try gtk_container_add(GTK_CONTAINER(grid), widget); instead

2008/4/29 Tomas Carnecky <tom dbservice com>:
AlannY wrote:
> Hi there, my name is Alan and I have some troubles with GtkContainer.
>
> It's about 2 days, I already have spent trying to solve it, but I (i
> guess) can't.
>
> I'm writing a program, which looks like:
> +-----------------------------+
> | Main Window (GtkWindow)     |
> | +-------------------------+ |
> | | My custom widget        | |
> | | +---------------------+ | |
> | | | GtkButton           | | |
> | | +---------------------+ | |
> | +-------------------------+ |
> +-----------------------------+
>
> I need some approach to place a GtkButton in my custom widget. I found
> (from GTK+ sources) that GtkTreeView, GtkNotebook (and others) inherits
> from GtkContainer . So, I decide to inherit my widget not from
> GtkWidget, but from GtkContainer.
>
> typedef struct _Grid            Grid;
> typedef struct _GridClass       GridClass;
>
> struct _Grid
> {
>    GtkContainer parent;
> };
>
> struct _GridClass
> {
>    GtkContainerClass parent_class;
> };
>
> And my _get_type function looks like:
>
> GtkType
> grid_get_type ()
> {
>    static GtkType grid_type = 0;
>
>    if (!grid_type)
>      {
>        const GTypeInfo object_info =
>        {
>       sizeof (GtkContainerClass),
>       NULL,
>          NULL,
>       (GClassInitFunc) grid_class_init,

That still isn't the whole code! What does grid_class_init() do? Attach
both the whole grid header and source file to the email.

>       NULL,
>       NULL,
>       sizeof (Grid),
>       0,
>       (GInstanceInitFunc) grid_init,
>       NULL,
>        };
>
>        grid_type = g_type_register_static (GTK_TYPE_CONTAINER,
> g_intern_static_string ("Grid"), &object_info, 0);
>      }
>
>    return grid_type;
> }
>
> The main feature of this function is GTK_TYPE_CONTAINER ;-) You see ;-)

> [...]
> grid = grid_new ();
> gtk_container_add (GTK_CONTAINER (window), grid);
> [...]
>
> So, my problem starts here: at _new() function. I want to create
> GtkButton and place it in my widget.
>
> GtkWidget*
> grid_new ()
> {
>    Grid *grid;
>
>    grid = g_object_new (grid_get_type (), NULL);
>
>    button = gtk_button_new_with_label ("Test");
>    gtk_widget_set_parent (button, GTK_WIDGET (grid));
>    gtk_widget_show (button);
>
>    return GTK_WIDGET (grid);
> }
>
> Everything right and works without errors ;-) But nothing happens. I
> can't see a GtkButton ;-)
>
> How to solve it? I need some way for "draw" (expose) GtkButton in my
> custom widget ;-) How to do it?
>
> P.S. I extremely think, that I just forgot something. But there are no
> tutorials about it ;-) "Information vacuum", so I decide to ask in
> mailing-lists.
> P.P.S. Only information about custom widget creation is a GTK sources,
> but (even with it) I can't solve my problem. ;-)
> P.P.P.S. Also, I really want to understand how GtkBox works ;-)

And stop creating new threads... This is your third thread in
gtk-app-devel where you ask the same question.

tom