RE: LGPL question

On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 18:29 +0800, Priya Suryanarayanan wrote:

> After reading all the responses, I am still a little confused (I may
> have misunderstood the subtleties here). On the one hand, I have
> understood that since I am using dynamic GTK+ libraries untouched,
> therefore my application can be closed-source.

correct.

> On the other hand, I am distributing the libraries (I am not asking
> the user to install it themselves). Can this be construed as a
> modification to GTK, thus requiring me to offer access to the sources?

no.

> Final question: If I do have to provide access to GTK sources, I
> cannot just point the users to the GTK.org website. I must actually
> maintain a set of sources, attempt to compile them into .dll’s, and
> point the user to them?

you are required only to offer them source. you don't even have to offer
them a build system, though that would be nice since you got one with
the source. basically, you just have offer them the same bundle of
source code that you started with, or would have started with if you had
built the libraries yourself.