Font issues on Win32: Japanese fonts and bold

I acknowledge that I already posted a similar post to this list already.
 However, I think it is a notable issue that affects using GTK+
applications in certain languages on Windows.

I guess so far I've had 2 issues:

1. The normal fonts commonly used on Windows for displaying Japanese
text will not display bold text.  Bold isn't even an option for these
fonts through GTK.
2. The only exception I've found so far is the Tahoma font, which I have
been using as a workaround.  However, I've found out that it bolds only
the English text, not the Japanese text.  This means that (as far as I
know) I have no way using standard GTK methods to display bold Japanese
text on Windows.

Issue 1 can be observed by just opening a Gtk font chooser dialog in any
Windows GTK application.

Issue 2 I've demonstrated using this test application (using GTKmm):
http://pastebin.ca/970962
And here's a screenshot showing comparisons between the test app and
Windows Notepad, using the exact same test string and Tahoma Bold 32 font:
http://www.vultaire.net/misc/gtkmm_vs_windows_notepad.png

I really would like to get some feedback on this.  I'm enjoying working
with GTK, but this is kind of a bummer for the application I'm working on.

- Paul Goins

Libs in use:
atk-dev-1.22.0.zip
cairo-dev-1.4.14.zip