Glib Problem With pygtk

Hi All,
I hope this is the right forum for this. I'm using Ubuntu 6.06.1 on
32 Dell PC.

A few months back, after an install failed, apps that use pygtk stopped
working. Investgation revealed that the system thinks pygtk is not
installed (quite possibly it got deleted/removed recovring from the
install problem).

So I got the source and tried to install it. The end of the output after
running ./configure is :

checking for GLIB - version >= 2.8.0...
*** 'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returned 2.12.9, but GLIB
(2.10.3)
*** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is best
*** to remove the old version of GLib. You may also be able to fix the
error
*** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing
*** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is
*** required on your system.
*** If pkg-config was wrong, set the environment variable
PKG_CONFIG_PATH
*** to point to the correct configuration files
no
configure: error: gobject is required to build pygtk?

If I try to install gobject package it fails saying it conflicts with
python-gtk2.

Some questions :
Where are the GLIB versiosn stored? I've found several .h files that
have the version number in - where should it be (/tmp)?
Where does the ./configure look to get which version of GLIB is
installed?

What is the resolution for the clash between gobject and python-gtk2?

I've tried every way I can find from googling to get GLIB and pygtk to
work together, synaptic,  apt-get, compiling the sources, etc etc but no
luck.

Thanks in advance for any help - please be gentle with me - I'm new to
linux and habn't got my head round command line syntax too well yet!

Cheers
Richard