Performance of GTK 2.10 on remote displays?

Hi all,

I'm in the process of trying to upgrade from GTK 2.6 to GTK 2.10. I'm finding that GTK 2.10 is significantly more sluggish when run on a remote display than GTK 2.6 was. For example VNC, Exceed, XWin32 and our SunRay servers all show significant slowdowns for simple operations like scrolling a TreeView or moving panes back and forth. There is no observable difference for a local display.

I guess this is because Cairo is now used for rendering?

Is the remote display performance issue known, and is there any simple configuration I might be able
to do to mitigate it?

Regards,
Geoff Bache