Re: Understanding GTK signaling

On Sat, 2007-10-06 at 16:13 +0530, Midhun A wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>     I am a newbie to Linux GUI. I want to know the exact process and
> signaling that happens when you want to show a GTK widget.

actually, you don't.

>  I have at
> least come till gtk_widget_show -> g_signal_emit->
> g_signal_emit_valist(). I am not able to understand what
> g_signal_emit_valist() function does. What does it signal and how?

signals are nothing more than a way to call a series of callbacks
(functions, potentially with arguments). when you connect a "handler" to
a signal, you are storing information about the callback in a list
attached to the signal. when the signal is "emitted" all that is
happening is that the callbacks in the list are executed.

you really don't need to know anymore than this, unless you plan to hack
on GTK, and even then, this is more or less enough.

--p