Re: GObject: Freeing memory of instance members?

On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 09:51:05PM +0200, ?ystein Johansen wrote:

> I have an instance struct that has a pointer to a some data that's
> dynamically allocated in a method. How can I free this memory when the
> object is finalzed? Is this done automatically in g_object_unref() (when
> refcounter is zero) ?

When the reference count reaches zero and the object is
finalized, its finalize() method is called.  And that's
where you should free any possibly allocated memory.
Remember to chain up parent class finalize() method in your
finalize().

> I see a pointer to a func in the info struct called base_finalize and
> another called class_finalize, but these seems to be used for cleaning
> up when I have base_init and class_init.

Ignore these, they are related to class initialization and
finalization.

Yeti

--
http://gwyddion.net/