Gtk combo

Hello everyone,
I am stuck on a Gtk combo. I have this code below on a button signal connect.
Code:

val = gtk_entry_get_text(GTK_ENTRY(GTK_COMBO(data->combo)->entry));
 if ( val == "Support Alpha" ){
   printf("hi1"\n);
 }
 else if (val == "Support Bravo"){
    printf("hi2"\n);
 }
 else if ("val == "Support Charlie"){
    printf("hi3"\n);
 }

There are three entries in the combo box. When the user selects one and the presses button I need to distinguish between which one the user selected.
any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
brad
DISCLAIMER: Under Florida Law (FS668.6076), e-mail addresses are public record.If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request,do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.