Ellipsize text after column resizing in a TreeView?

Hello all,

I've got a TreeView with 3 expandable columns set to autoresize. For
the moment, GTK does its best to make the text fit into the TreeView
by resizing columns. For example, if one of the columns has a too long
text, this column will be slightly larger than the others. This is
fine.

I would like to use the ellipsize feature, in case it's really not
possible to make the text fit into the TreeView. The problem is that,
when I use this feature, all columns are always of the same size. This
is not nice because sometimes, one of the columns could be made
slightly larger to avoid ellipsizing its content. This is especially
true if one of the other columns is really too large in regards to its
content.

I guess that GTK first ellipsizes the content of the columns if
needed, and thus the columns are always large enough. That's why
they're all always of the same size. Am I right ?

If so, what I would like would be to first let GTK do its best to make
the text fit into the TreeView by resizing the columns (that's the
behavior when ellipsize feature is off) and then, if it's really not
possible to make the text fit into the TreeView, to ellipsize the
remaining text that is too long. This way, there would not be a really
large column with a lot of blank area while some text in another one
would be ellipsized. Is it possible to do that?

Thanks.