Simple Error

I haven't done much GTK programming, so I seem to have tripped over
something.  Can somebody help clarify what I should do?

I have a thread running.  Every now and again, it updates an image
that I want to put into a drawing area.  That all works fine, except
that I get this error message.  It's apparently because I'm not
supposed to do this drawing in a thread other than the one with the
gtk_main.

Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0xd6)!

So, I hacked around a bit and wrote a little widget class, it updates
this image when it receives a signal.  I use the thread causing the
problem to send the signal.  So, of course, I figure that this is
fine, and that the signal is picked up in gtk_main.

I guess I was mistaken, since the error remains.  Can anybody
enlighten me as to what I'm doing wrong?
--
Justin W. Hart