keyboard capabilities

Hello everybody,

I need some help from you !. I need anyone who points out the function
that permits me to change -for a little moment- the layout of the
keyboard, like this:

gtk_function (LANGUAGE).

------

(now, when type, I obtain english letters)

gtk_function (_GREEK)

(now, when type -in my keyboard !!!- I obtain greek characters)

gtk_function (_RUSSIAN)
http://www.galaxie.com/assets/biblescript/greek.gif
(now, when I use my keyboard to type letters, these are in Russian)

gtk_function (_ENGLISH)

(I go back to my original keyboard configuration)

------

I don't know if this function really exists in the developed libraries
but I think is not an stupid function. I know that Gnome Desktop
Environment can do something like this: It's possible to predefine
layouts (Desktop > Preferences > Keyboard > Layouts) and select a
combination keys to change the current layout (Desktop > Keyboard >
Layout Options > Group Shift/Lock behaviour). I also know that all of
this is controlled by a kind of register based in XML but, indeed it's
not enought.

Obviously, there are a lots of keyboard models... But that must be a
constant value !. The idea is make the keyboard a bit more "multi"
language.

Furthermore, I know that Gnome can draw Unicode characters using UTF-8
characters encoding. Note that I'm speaking a different question that
is,

if I type an "a" touch in an english keyboard and in an environment
configured as english, it's normal to hope obtain the letter "a". But
with the same keyboard but with different language, for example greek,
according to http://www.galaxie.com/assets/biblescript/greek.gif, it's
normal to obtain -when typing the same touch (ie. our "a")- the greek
letter alfa ("α").

I need a lot pertinent comments about.

It's very important for me to clarify all these concepts and to
understand how the system (GNU/Linux, GTK+,...) operates. You can
point me documentation, ideas, suggestions,...

Thanks a lot,

David