RE: Trouble getting pkg-config to work in Windows

Thanks for the reply, but the problem is more complex than this. Yesudeep's two replies
can be combined and summarized as follows:
1. Try installing using the installers from http://gladewin32.sourceforge.net
2. Make sure that the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH is properly set by editing the
    bash configuration files and/or system environment variables.
3. Use the installation instructions from http://www.mingw.org/MinGWiki/index.php/GladeGuide
    ( written by Chris Lale, on how to use Glade with Win32)

First, I did use the installer linked to on the GladeWin32 page referenced in (1) above. That is how
I installed the gtk+ executable the first time I tried. When I did that, I got a working version of gtk+, but
the pkg-config.exe file still did not work. It still failed to find the */lib/pkgconfig directory containing the
.pc files, even if I
   manually set PKG_CONFIG_PATH in the command line,
   changed it in the bash config files, and
   created a registry entry as recommended.
When you do this, you get *.pc files whose prefix is set to "/target".

I then uninstalled the gtk+ that I got from that website and tried a second method, first installing mingw
into c:\mingw, as recommended in the http://www.mingw.org/.   Using the second method, I installed
mingw using the mingw installer, into c:/mingw, and then unzipped all of Tor Lillqvist's zip files into the
c:/mingw directory tree. This method fails also. When I run pkg-config, it too fails to find the *.pc files.
This method is more suspect to me, because the *.pc files that get unzipped into lib/pkgconfig have
prefixes with the hard-coded path "c:/devel/target/..." such as "c:/devel/target/atk-1.12.3"
Anyway, it fails even when I make sure the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable is properly set.

Before I tried this second method, I should add that I tried to build from sources under Cygwin, and that
came the closest to succeeding, but it still did not work. pkg-config.exe actually FOUND the .pc files,
but its output always contained the hard-coded word "target", as in -I/target/lib.. blah blah", as if the
pkg-config executable was failing to replace "target" by the actual path to target dir.

Also, in all cases, I have made sure that the pkg-config I am running is the correct one by using the
absolute path to it in the shell.

It seems to me that the pkg-config.exe in the zip file, pkg-config-0.20.zip, is insensitive to the value
of the environment variables, and must be searching a hard-coded path for the pkgconfig files. I think
that the pkg-config that I built using the pkg-config-0.20 source tarball probably worked, but because
I built in wthin the Cygwin shell, it failed to run from command-prompt and from a MSys shell, and in
any event, the *.pc files have this hard-coded prefix with /target that causes it to spew bad output.

Any ideas?
Stewart