Re: Trouble getting pkg-config to work in Windows

Greetings Stewart,

On 6/9/07, Stewart Weiss <stewart weiss acm org> wrote:
I have spent many hours trying to get a version of pkg-config
to work properly on my Windows XP system. I have installed GTK+
following instructions in various webpages. In the last attempt,
I used http://www.ibiblio.org/apollo/WinGtkHowto.html as my guide.
I have downloaded a few versions of pkg-config binaries, the last of
which is pkg-config-0.20 from the gimp.org download page.  I also
tried building from source, but I have the same problem.

Someone has already done the majority of the work for you:

http://gladewin32.sourceforge.net

I have used gladewin32 successfully before.

The problem is that when I run a command such as
    pkg-config --cflags gtk+-win32-2.0
I get the message
Package gtk+- win32-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gtk+-win32-2.0.pc'
No package 'gtk+-win32-2.0' found

After installing  gladewin32 (including reading the README and INSTALL files
that come with it and the FAQ at the Website), try using this command:

pkg-config --cflags gtk+-2.0

This should work.  `gtk+-win32-2.0` may not be a valid package configuration
file.

This will happen regardless of which package name I use. All of the .pc
files are in the top/lib/pkgconfig  directory, where top is the name of
the directory that contains bin/pkg-config.exe. I have tried setting the
registry to create a key and values for PKG_CONFIG_PATH, but this does not
work.  I have tried manually setting the environment variable, to no avail.
I get this message no matter what.

Creating a properly defined environment variable is a solution.  You can edit
the bash configuration files used by MSYS to add the PKG_CONFIG_PATH
environment variable.  AFAIK, setting a *system* environment variable in the
System Properties dialog works as well.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

Stewart

<snip>

 Hopefully, this will help.

Regards,
Yesudeep.
--
येसुदीप मंगलािपल्ली

Can't see the above text?
http://unicode.org/help/display_problems.html

Do not send me Word documents.  I will bite.
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/sylvester-response.html