Re: UTF8 problem on Windows

Scott Peterson writes:
 > I'm building a mess of dependencies with Cygwin

Your Subject talks about Windows, yet now you say Cygwin. Which one is
it?

Please make sure you understand that software built for Cygwin runs in
a Unix environment (that happens to be "hosted" on top of Windows, but
still). Especially, from GLib point of view, none of the
Win32-specific features get compiled when building for Cygwin. The
G_OS_WIN32 feature test macro, for instance, is not defined in a GLib
development environment for Cygwin. G_OS_UNIX is.

 > here's what happens when I try to make dbus-glib-0.73:

 > undefined reference to `_g_file_open_tmp_utf8'
 > undefined reference to `_g_spawn_async_with_pipes_utf8'
 > undefined reference to `_g_io_channel_new_file_utf8'
 > undefined reference to `_g_file_get_contents_utf8'

These functions exists in a Win32 GLib only (for technical backward
compatibility reasons), and references to them should be generated
only when compiling with Win32 GLib headers. You seem to have a
mismatch between your headers and libraries.

--tml