Re: Installing gtk+2.10.12 issues.

--- David Neèas (Yeti) <yeti physics muni cz> wrote:

> The idea of maintaining all the build information for all
> packages in some centralized perl file just does not scale.

I think you didn't quite get the idea and/or not quite familiar with Perl.

Yes, it is true there is a number of Perl files.

The two most important ones are:

default_target_build_sub.prl
default_build_data_sub.prl
.

The first of them is what its name says, and the second is currently configuration data
and "patches", i.e. small pieces of code that work around the wide variety of developers'
inconsistencies, to begin from inconsistent naming conventions.

Now about possible unfamiliarity with Perl.

If you have a piece of code like this:

$u = 1;
$v = 2;
$x = 3;
$y = 4;

, you can split it into, say, two files:

file1.pl will contain

$u = 1;
$v = 2;

and file2.pl will contain

$x = 3;
$y = 4;

, so the whole above piece of code can be rewritten this way:

do file1.pl;
do file2.pl;
.

I mean that, for example, I or anybody else can split default_build_data_sub.prl into
file per target, and/or, for example, to put 'gtk+' with all its dependencies in one
file or whatever in a similar manner.

'do' can be nested.

For an end user whop is not going to add targets and/or to modify the code it doesn't
matter, this is because for quite a time it is possible to specify targets to built
on command line.

It's really ridiculous to read every other day posts of people suffering from unproperly
set PKG_CONFIG_PATH and friends and the standard advice to check them.

I mean, the ridiculous part is the ever repeating itself advice to do manual job.

--Sergei.

Applications From Scratch: http://appsfromscratch.berlios.de/

in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.