Delay in Displaying Dialog

I'm encountering a problem in an application I'm working on which I don't understand. It may be due to a misconception I have with GTK+ functionality.

The application has a main window which comes up with program execution. Further processing is driven by events initiated by the user selecting drop-down menu items from this main window.

In one menu item a dialog is displayed where the user selects certain criteria with which to proceed. Upon completion of establishing the criteria the dialog is destroyed and a new dialog is created. Within this new dialog are a couple of boxes and a couple of tables. Within one of the tables is a non-editable text widget with a vertical scrollbar.

A gtk_widget_show_all() is issued for this new dialog once it's created, however the dialog is not displayed at this point. Additionally, the first dialog has not yet disappeared from the display.

Immediately after creation of this new dialog, text begins to be sent on a somewhat streaming basis to the text widget. After a few seconds the first dialog disappears and the secondary dialog appears. However, the only widget within the secondary dialog which appears is the text widget. No other widgets appear. The appropriate text begins appearing and scrolling within the text widget. But missing are the first four or five lines of text which were (probably) sent to the text widget during the time it was not displayed.

After the text being sent to the text widget ends and process flow falls back into gtk_main() then all the other widgets within the secondary dialog appear including the first few lines of text which had been missing.

Can anyone give me an idea (or point me someplace) which will tell me what's going on? Thanks.

--
Marshall Lake -- mlake mlake net -- http://mlake.net