Image Drawing : Assertion failure

I want to display an image on fixed container.

I have tried this with two ways :-

1st method:-

image1 = create_pixmap (window1, "babytux.png");

2nd Method:-

style = gtk_widget_get_style( window1 );

pixmap = gdk_pixmap_create_from_xpm( window1->window, &mask, &style->bg[GTK_STATE_NORMAL], " babytux.png ");

image1 = gtk_pixmap_new( pixmap, mask );

By first method it display the image correctly but in the second method for both api calls gdk_pixmap_create_from_xpm and gtk_pixmap_new it is giving assertion failed .

Since I want the value of mask I am using using 2nd method.

If anyone could tell me what could be the possible reason for this assertion failure.