Re: Getting greatest decimal accuracy out of G_PI

On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 03:48:39 +0200
Tor Lillqvist <tml iki fi> wrote:

>Before this discussion gets any further, maybe the original poster
>could tell us what he intends to *do* with the highly accurate value
>of pi he is after? I am certainly no expert on numerical computation,
>but I know that using the wrong approach in numerical calculations
>quickly can reduce any initial accuracy a *lot*. Just having a highly
>accurate initial value of pi, as long double or whatever, is pointless
>if one then uses it in a silly way in calculations, or if the actual
>*variable data* used in the calculations has much less accuracy.

Just feeling for the limits of what I can do given the contraints
of the language.

I like to think about things like using the center of the earth as
an origin, and using a spherical coordinate system to locate
points(and/or areas volumes) on the surface or in space. The accuracy
depends mostly on the accuracy of the angles in radians( ie. the
number of decimal places of PI).

I'm sure it can go into the other direction also, what about nano-technology
where you are dealing with the super-small. The ability to distinquish
very small angles would be very important.

zentara

http://zentara.net/japh.html