Re: g_signal_connect -- "button-press-event" vs "pressed"

One other thing I didn't clarify...

The reason when you connect to "button-press-event" nothing happens, that's because the function prototype (as described in the API docs for GtkWidget) is different. It has 3 parameters:

 (GtkWidget *widget, GdkEventButton *event, gpointer user_data)

Where your 'Happened' function only has 2 parameters.

When you're starting out, it's easiest to build your prototypes for callbacks exactly as they appear in the API. That way you know what you're dealing with.

gboolean on_button_press_event (GtkWidget *widget, GdkEventButton *event, gpointer user_data)
{
    g_print ("on_button_press_event: %s", (gchar*)user_data);
    return FALSE; /* propogate signal to default handlers */
}

void on_pressed (GtkWidget *widget, gpointer user_data)
{
    g_print ("on_pressed: %s", (gchar*)user_data);
    return FALSE; /* propogate signal to default handlers */
}

/* ... down in main() ... */

GtkWidget *B = gtk_button_new_with_label (Label);

g_signal_connect (GTK_OBJECT (B), "button-press-event",
                  G_CALLBACK (
on_button_press_event), "The mouse was clicked on a GtkWidget.");
g_signal_connect (GTK_OBJECT (B), "button-press-event",
                  G_CALLBACK (
on_pressed), "The button was pressed on a GtkButton.");

- Micah Carrick

  Developer - http://www.micahcarrick.com
  GTK+ Forums - http://www.gtkforums.com

Micah Carrick wrote:
Start with the API documentation for a GtkButton:
http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/stable/GtkButton.html

Scroll down to "Signals" to see each signal you can connect a callback
to for a GtkButton as well as the prototype for writing such a callback
function. That is where "pressed" is coming from... the GtkButton.

You can also look at the section called "Object Hierarchy" in the API to
see which objects a GtkButton is derived from. You can also use the
signals for any of those objects. If you were to click on GtkWidget,
you'll find the "button-press-event" signal there with the description:

" The ::button-press-event signal will be emitted when a button
(typically from a mouse) is pressed."

So as you can see, the "pressed" signal from GtkButton is what you want
to connect to for a user clicking a button. If you want to capture the
mouse clicking on a widget... any widget... you use "button-press-event".

Whenever you find a signal that you don't know to which object it
belongs, one easy way out is to search for it in Devhelp.

- Micah Carrick

  Developer - http://www.micahcarrick.com
  GTK+ Forums - http://www.gtkforums.com

Charles Packer wrote:

If I code a button widget like this (I'm using the version
of GTK that came with Fedora Core 5)...

	GtkWidget *B = gtk_button_new_with_label (Label);
	g_signal_connect (GTK_OBJECT (B), "button-press-event",
                G_CALLBACK (Happened), "HELLO");

and the callback is this...

	Happened (GtkWidget *W, gpointer Data) {
		g_print ("ButtonHappened...|%s|\n", (char *) Data);
	}

when Happened is executed, it doesn't print the data. That is, I get
"ButtonHappened...||". But when I replace the parameter
"button-press-event" in the call to g_signal_connect with "pressed",
on execution the printout is as desired, "ButtonHappened...|HELLO|".

Now, "button-press-event" is in lists of event types such as you
find in the GTK 2.0 tutorial at
http://www.gtk.org/tutorial/a2769.html

As for "pressed", I don't know where I got it. It must have
come along with some example I found in a newsgroup or on the Web.
I haven't been able to find an event-type list anywhere that
contains it, so I can't solve the mystery of why I get what I
want when I use that parameter, but not with the "legitimate"
parameter.

--
Charles Packer
http://cpacker.org/whatnews