How to simulate full window (manager) close-button behaviour?

This is something I've wondered about for a long time. Or maybe I solved the problem once, but I can't find the code now:

Is there a simple way to tell Gtk to do exactly what it would do when if the user pressed the window (window manager) close button, when working with a Window widget?

I mean, usually gtk_widget_destroy() or gtk_widget_hide() will be called as part of the handling, but those functions are not what I'm looking for; I also want to execute the full event handler "chain" that may lead to these calls as well as other tests or whatever that are part of the full close behaviour.

Help, anyone?

- Toralf