VC8 and GTK development

Sorry if this has been up before - I just subsrcibed and don't
know a way to browse old threads.

I have a VC8 wxWidgets project that I want to change to GTK
(not
the GTK wxWidgets but GTK as such.)

I managed to compile the framework-independent parts of my
project
with MinGW/CodeBlocks and link them into a hello-world
C++ GTK
project, but I can't make debugging work - and I know
nothing about
how gdb works (or doesn't work) on MS Windows.
Rather than learning
this stuff, I'd prefer to go on using VC8 Express.

But the GTK site says I shouldn't use VC>6 with GTK unless I know
what I am doing - this has to do with the GTK/win32 runtime libraries
being tied to the VC6 runtime if I understand right.

So, can I compile GTK/win32 into a static library with VC8 Express
and use that? And what are the exact requirements for this? Or
should I rather use precompiled libraries? If I do that, I obvously
must be careful not to malloc/new with VC8 and free with Glib/GTK.
Is that it, or are worse things lurking?