Re: Opacity of Window

On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 16:31 +0530, मयंक जैन (makuchaku) wrote:
> On 4/12/07, Paul Davis <paul linuxaudiosystems com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 11:36 +0530, prajyot wrote:
> > > Hi Guys,
> > >
> > > Can anybody suggest me how opacity is set to the widget if it is not
> > > supporting alpha channel? (that is widget is not composited)
> >
> > as i explained on this list just the other day, there are NO
> > GTK widgets that have support for opacity/alpha channel.
>
> I'm just curious - havntt had a chance to look at gnome-panel's code -
> how does it supports transparency then?

100% transparency is done differently, and at the window level. some
systems like the enlightenment WM do wackythings like grabbing the root
window and then image processing it to provide an illusion of partial
transparency. none of this is directly supported by GTK or GDK, though
they could be used for the same tricks.

--p