Re: File dialog tab completion question

On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 16:43 -0600, Michael L Torrie wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 14:51 -0700, Jeff Gustafson wrote:
> > 	Is there a way to cause the tab completion on a directory to update the
> > file selection box?  I think this used to be the behavior.  Now, no
> > matter how much I press tab the file box will not update.
>
> Sadly this behavior was replaced with the intelligent search and the
> type-head stuff in the entry box.
> It is not possible to put this feature back in without breaking the API.
> I am very torn as I think this was the single-most useful feature of the
> original dialog.

	I agree!  The reason is because it worked without the use of the mouse.
The way it currently works I have to constantly switch back and forth to
the mouse to search out files in a tree.  I liked being able to type
'..' in the location bar and it would update the file list.  A great way
to hop around a tree quickly.  Very, very useful.
	What's the point of the current tab completion feature?  Am I missing
something?  It doesn't seem to do anything useful.  Let me know how I
should be using it since I appear to have the old way stuck in my head
(and fingers).  Maybe you can point me to design documentation that
would help me out.
	This had been irritating me for sometime now, when was the feature
officially dropped?  Is there no hope at all for its return?

			...Jeff