Problem with GUI not (always) updating...

Hi all,

I'm developing a computational tool with a nice GUI using GTK2+ and Glade3. The OS is Ubuntu 6.10 with Gnome UI. Now I have encountered some strange behaviour.

The application essentially asks for alot of parameters for the user to enter, has a progress bar and a start, pause and exit button. When the users hits start, I'm spawning a new thread (using pthreads) and let the signal handler of start button return to the gtk_main() loop. This is required because the computation takes quite some time and the user should have the possibility to pause the program.

Now I've run into some 'indeterministic' effects. In about half of the test runs, the GUI keeps accessible to the user, i.e. eyecandy on the button on mouse-over, and the program works normally. In the other half, the GUI freezes, but the computation finishes normally. Strangely, the program reacts on clicks on the GUI, i.e. it pauses, exits etc, but the GUI itself is frozen.

I'm running kernel 2.6.20.3 with the xenomai real-time patch.

Any hints?

Matthias Scheer