Re: possible bug in 'configure' of gtk+-2.8.20

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 05:12:13PM -0400, Valdis Kletnieks vt edu wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 09:18:50 PDT, Sergei Steshenko said:
>
> > /mnt/hdd2/sergei/build/gtk+-2.8.20/gdk/x11/gdkdrawable-x11.h:#include <X11/extensions/Xrender.h>
>
> > I expect 'configure' to check presence of all needed include files, and to fail if
> > any of them is missing.
> >
> > Is my expectation correct ?
>
> No.  Usually a 'configure' script will run a test case that checks for *one*
> file that indicates something is installed.  Apparently, it looks for some
> other file to detect whether the Xrender extension is present and usable.
>
> What does the config.log say for the Xrender check(s)?

AFAIK it checks only whether -lXrender makes function
XRenderQueryExtension available and does not check for any
Xrender header file at all.

In other words it doesn't anticipate modular Xorg where
Xrender is a separate library (like everything else) and
it's possible to have any combination of the libraries and
header files installed.  For example on Fedora one would get
to this situation by installing libXrender but not
libXrender-devel (although this is not possible without
removal of lots of other Gtk+ dependencies therefore
configure would not pass there).

IMO it should test the presence of header files for each
extension it needs and I suggest to report it as a bug (if
it isn't in bugzilla already).

Yeti

--
Whatever.